Fancy a flourless cookie treat?
You have to try making some meringues. All it takes is basically sugar, egg whites and air, plus a little help from the weather.
Why does weather matters? Erm, well, ‘cos humility is meringues’ arch enemy and so baking them in our humid (especially if it’s raining) climate can be quite tricky. Nevertheless, the reward is nothing less than elegance and pure sweetness.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 egg whites
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (juiced)
1. Preheat oven to 140 degree celsius
2. With an electric mixer, whip egg whites and salt till smooth and foamy
3. Softly whip in sugar in parts
4. I got the girls to help juice the lemon while I whip the batter till it forms a long peak.
5. Little by little, fold in lemon juice and vanilla essence
6. Spoon or pipe batter onto a baking tray (be sure to cover baking tray with baking sheet. the batter really sticks)
6. Turn oven down to 120 degree celsius and bake for an hour or till meringues are dry thoroughly.
Linking up with: